George Clooney: U.S. too prudish
Actor sees politicians' requirement to explain immorality as 'bigotry'

5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Actor George Clooney has once again criticized the United States when talking to foreign media, this time saying American society is too prudish.

George Clooney

Speaking to the German magazine Woman, Clooney said the recent California recall election shows politicians can only be successful if they deny things they did earlier in life, reports Agence France-Presse.

Fellow actor Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clooney says, shouldn't have had to explain behavior from his days as a professional body builder.

"You read in the media that [Schwarzenegger] was already gushing about wanting to become governor of California 25 years ago -- today he denies that," Clooney said, according to AFP.

"I always say you have to stand by what you've done. Yes, I smoked grass. Yes, I had sex with more than one person. In the U.S., they make a big deal out of everything as soon as you run for higher office. It's time we did away with this bigotry in America."

According to the report, Clooney said this "bigotry" is what has kept him from entering politics himself.

In the German interview, the actor also reiterated his opposition to the U.S. war in Iraq.

"I stand by that. It was the dumbest thing that my country could have done. As an actor in the public eye, I have a responsibility. I see myself as a spokesman for all those who have the same opinion," the report quotes him as saying.

Clooney is no stranger to controversy. In receiving a special filmmaking achievement award earlier this year, he joked that "Charlton Heston announced again today that he is suffering from Alzheimer's."

When questioned about the remark by New York Newsday, Clooney sputtered: "I don't care. Charlton Heston is the head of the National Rifle Association. He deserves whatever anyone says about him."