New '24' star's secret role

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- "My name is Dr. Ann Packard. That's my name, so you can deduce that I am a woman, and I am a doctor, and that's, of course, all I can say," says Wendy Crewson, who is about to make her "24" debut opposite Kiefer Sutherland on the hit Fox series, which begins its third season Tuesday.

"I'm sort of involved with one of the leading male characters, but I'm afraid I can't say which one," she adds.

Fair enough. But what she will talk about is "24's" Canadian connection.

"At last, the great Canadian series we've been waiting for," says Crewson, who has appeared in such films as "Air Force One" and both "Santa Clause" films. "There are so many of us -- Kiefer, Elisha Cuthbert, Leslie Hope, our DP [director of photography] and a lot of the main directors," Crewson adds. "There's a great swelling of national pride in Canada for this show."

There seems to be a lot of Great White North pride for her as well: She just picked up a Gemini Award for best actress in a TV movie called "The Many Trials of One Jane Doe."

"It's nice to work in Canada where I can get big leading-lady parts in lovely movies," she says. "When you are [in Los Angeles], there is vast competition and so many people that are kind of ahead of you in line. I can get a smaller part in a big movie here, which gives me enough of a profile to get a big part in a smaller movie up there, so it's a nice balance."