Showtime's lesbian saga

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) -- If gay TV is the trend du jour, Showtime thinks it's found a new twist on the genre.

"If you watch any TV at all today, it might appear that no one in the world is straight anymore," Showtime chairman and CEO Matt Blank said at the network's recent New York launch party for its upcoming lesbian-centric series "The L Word."

"But what's with all these guys?" Blank asked. "Let's hear it for the girls!"

Showtime's guests -- gathered at Times Square's seafood restaurant Blue Fin -- were treated to a sneak peek at some racy "L Word" footage, and the show's easy-on-eyes cast, including Jennifer Beals, Erin Daniels, Leisha Hailey, Laurel Holloman, Mia Kirshner, Karina Lombard, Katherine Moennig and Pam Grier, worked the press in outfits Carson Kressley would surely approve of.

"If anything, we like to think we started the trend [of gay programming]," Blank said, referring to the network's long-running "Queer as Folk." "But this is a space no one has yet determined to occupy, and we've got as smart and as gorgeous and hot a cast as you'll see on TV."

Said series creator Ilene Chaiken, "I just wanted to write a series about the lives of the women I've known in Los Angeles."