Halle Berry, who stars in the upcoming supernatural thriller film Gothika,
told SCI FI Wire that breaking her arm during filming caused her anxiety
about the future. Berry broke her arm while shooting a physical scene with
co-star Robert Downey Jr. in the movie, in which Berry plays a criminal
psychiatrist who awakes to find herself a prisoner in her own institution.

"I thought, 'Oh my God. Am I going to finish this movie? Are they going to
recast me for Catwoman? What does this mean in the course of my career?'"
Berry said in an interview. "I just had a lot more fear about the
physicality of what was asked of me. I felt really fragile and frail,
thinking, 'OK, now what am I going to break?' I had more of those kind of
concerns and if I would heal."

Production stopped for several weeks after Berry's injury, setting the
movie's opening back to Nov. 21 from an original Halloween release.
Afterwards, director Mathieu Kassovitz and Berry had to shoot several action
scenes, including one in which Berry's character, psychiatrist Miranda Grey,
tries to escape from the prison in which she finds herself an inmate.
Filmmakers used several techniques to conceal Berry's hurt right arm,
including employing a thin, flesh-colored cast, she said. But Berry was also
mindful of her next movie, Catwoman, another physically demanding role.

"I didn't want to try to finish this movie and hurt myself in any way and so
that I wasn't ready to do Catwoman," Berry said. "So I was a lot more
tentative when I went back."