From: Charles
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 5:05 PM
Subject: [Sndbox] Atkins diet link to winter gloom

Atkins diet link to winter gloom

CATHERINE LYST

INDIVIDUALS following the trendy Atkins diet could be more susceptible to depression this winter, according to a leading nutritionist.

The dieters’ lack of carbohydrate intake will lead to lower levels of seratonin, the "happy" chemical in their brains, according to Lorraine Perretta, a senior nutrition consultant.

"Carbohydrates don’t make seratonin but encourage the making if it," she said. "If people are cutting out carbohydrates they are more likely to suffer from depression.

"In a study of 50,000 people, those who ate a variety of foods were healthier and happier."

Ms Perretta, a senior consultant at mynutrition.co.uk and the author of a book called Brain Foods, was consulted for a study by McCain Foods, which produces a third of all chips worldwide.

However, registered nutritionist Dr Becky Lang said there was no evidence to back up the claim. "I think that’s one hell of a claim to make," she said.

"Seratonin levels do tend to be higher if you are eating a higher carb diet. However, there is no evidence to show that seratonin increases with certain diets.

"And mood is influenced by so many factors that the actual effects of diet are probably quite minimal. I’d be interested to see if the McCain study is published and what scientific evidence they have used to back up their claim.

"It’s possible this is a publicity thing to make people eat more carbohydrates, which I don’t think is a bad thing."

The claims were made yesterday, the official start of winter, and a time when the associated effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) begin to take effect.

Psychologists believe the contrasts between this year’s long, hot summer could have a pronounced affect on people’s moods.

Geoffrey Beattie, the psychologist famous for his appearances on Big Brother, said: "I think people will be struck by the contrast this year.

"It would be nice if the long, sunny summer could inoculate you against winter but I don’t think it works like that.

"About this time of year people are doing less and less and SAD affects sleep cycles, so people who suffer from it spend more time ruminating instead of exercising and interacting."

However, Dr Geoff Scobie, a senior psychologist at Glasgow University, believes the extra sunshine could have a positive impact. "If we’ve had a good summer we are likely to have built up some resistance to the limited light we get in the winter," he said.

"The problem we have is that we are not quite certain about the SAD symptoms.

"If it is related to the quality of light, people who spend most of their time in artificial light would tend to be more susceptible.

"And if it relates to the total amount of light we get during the year, then clearly we may have done rather better this year than previously.

"Monitoring people on the Atkins diet is a good experiment - if they all feel particularly bad this winter there must be some connection."

The Atkins diet encourages followers to eat high protein foods and cut out carbohydrates, such as potatoes, bread and pasta.

It has soared in popularity with endorsements from celebrities such as Renee Zellweger, Jennifer Aniston and Geri Halliwell.

However, some health experts are concerned about the diet’s long-term effects.

In August, Dr Susan Jebb, from the Medical Research Council’s Human Nutrition Research Centre in Cambridge, said it would be "negligent" to recommend the diet to anyone who was overweight.

Dr Jebb added that the claims made for the Atkins diet were based on "pseudo-science".

She argued that, despite a number of small studies, no-one knew what the long-term effects of the diet might be. But data gained from large diet investigations involving thousands of participants had set alarm bells ringing.

Dr Robert Atkins, who developed the diet in 1972, believed carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, rice and starchy vegetables, over-stimulated the production of insulin, resulting in hunger and weight gain.

But Dr Jebb said the diet was a leap in the dark because it meant such a dramatic change in eating habits.

Three million Britons are now on the controversial diet with, 7 per cent of British men and 10 per cent of women having tried it. In the past five years, four million Britons have tried it.

According to a recent poll, 85 per cent of those who have tried the Atkins diet believe it is effective, and almost 70 per cent would recommend it.