Upright
Editorial Exegesis
Dezinformatsia
Sociocrats
Village Idiots
Short Cuts

______----********O********----______
THE FOUNDATION

"Under all those disadvantages no men ever show more spirit or prudence than ours. In my opinion nothing but virtue has kept our army together through this campaign." --Col. John Brooks

______----********O********----______
INSIGHT

"None are more readily taken with flattery than the proud who wish to be first but are not." --Spinoza

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself." --Jean Francois Revel

"There is no nation so poor that it cannot afford free speech, but there are few elites which will put up with the bother of it." --Daniel P. Moynihan

"No legacy is so rich as honesty." --William Shakespeare

"Nurture your mind with great thoughts. To believe in the heroic makes heroes." --Benjamin Disraeli

"The world we have created is a product of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking." --Albert Einstein

"There is no working middle course in wartime." --Sir Winston Churchill ++ "The history of treaties throughout the centuries is such that one should not stake one's life on a treaty." --Ronald Reagan

"Experience teaches us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purpose is beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --Supreme Court Justice Brandeis

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." --Mark Twain

______----********O********----______
UPRIGHT

"The more progress we make on the ground, the more free the Iraqis become, ... the more desperate these killers become, because they can't stand the thought of a free society." --President George W. Bush

"Iraq is also becoming a reflecting pool of the world at large. Millions are slowly learning how different the United States is from its critics in Europe." --Victor Davis Hanson

"By understanding liberty as an abstract or radically individualistic principle, the [Supreme] Court cannot help but dissolve over time all the social institutions and moral restraints embodied in the law." --Peter Augustine Lawler ++ "Our Founding Fathers created a government that was controlled by the people rather than the other way around. The rule of law was to be supreme over group whims and pop fads." --Tom DeWeese ++ "Of course, we pretend America is the constitutional republic it always was. But we are living under a 'Constitution' that would not be recognizable to those who wrote it." --James Antle

"Losing [the debate about marriage] means losing marriage as a social institution, a shared public norm. The question is not whether this is a battle we can win, but whether it is a battle we can afford to lose." --Maggie Gallagher

"Politics in our country is about money and power. End of story." --Charley Reese ++ "Choosing the lesser of two evils is still a choice for evil. It's time for all conservatives to put principle over politics." --Lee Shelton

______----********O********----______
EDITORIAL EXEGESIS

"One of the more enduring Internet hoaxes is the chain letter claiming that the government has an e-mail tax in the works. Well, if Congress doesn't extend the Internet tax moratorium before it expires at the end of this week, the e-mail tax could soon cease to be an urban legend. The current moratorium, known as the Internet Tax Freedom Act, prevents taxes on Internet access; double taxation of Web purchases; and discriminatory taxes that treat online sales differently from offline sales." --Wall Street Journal

______----********O********----______
DEZINFORMATSIA

This week's "TheoLib" Award: "...[C]laims made for Jesus Christ by most Christians, from Vatican corridors to evangelical revival tents, implicitly insult the religion of others. ...The general's offense was to speak aloud the implication of a still broadly held theology. But that theology is dangerous now. A respectful religious pluralism is no longer a liberal hope but an urgent precondition of justice and peace." --Boston Globe columnist James Carroll, on Gen. Jerry Boykin

From the "See B.S." Files: "We should change our attitude toward the United Nations. There has to be some power in the world superior to our own.... We should not have attacked Iraq without the OK of the United Nations.... Now we have to live with that mistake. We're living with it, and too many of our guys are dying with it." --CBS's Andy Rooney

This week's "Spike" Award: "If things are really bad in Iraq, bypassing the mainstream media won't make them any better, and that's what the Bush administration seems to be trying these days.... There is, actually, a solution and it's deceptively simple: level with the American public about what is going wrong.... What's been found in the way of weapons of mass destruction does not measure up to the pre-war warnings. When the administration starts dealing forthrightly with those issues, the good news will speak for itself." --ABC's Ted Koppel **When, exactly, will Koppel start "dealing forthrightly with those issues"?

From the Commissars of Public Opinion: "We have a country that wants to believe it is the best in everything, but until all of us embrace the idea that health care should be a right, not a privilege, our system cannot be glibly described as, quote, 'the best in the world'." --ABC News "medical editor" Dr. Tim Johnson

This week's "Periplaneta Americana" Award: "Actually that $87 billion, Peter, covers all, reconstruction and military operations, he said $66 billion over the next year will go to military intelligence operations. It's a big number and it's very typical of this President. ...He essentially is asking the public to support him in imposing a kind of Pax Americana on the Muslim Middle East, it is a very big, enormous task he is asking the public to join him." --ABC reporter Terry Moran

______----********O********----______
SOCIOCRATS

From the "Thundering Herd of Jackasses": "I'd say all of us up here support our troops a great deal more than the president of the United States does." --Howard Dean ++ "Right after 9/11, this administration determined to do bait and switch on the American public. President Bush said he was going to get Usama bin Laden, dead or alive. Instead, he went after Saddam Hussein. He doesn't have either one of them today." --Wesley Clark ++ "What I voted for was to hold Saddam Hussein accountable but to do it right. This president has done it wrong every step of the way." --John Kerry ++ "Bush was wrong to go in in the first place. To delay coming out doesn't make it right." --Rev. Al Sharpton ++ "We blew the place up, we have to fix it back." --Carol Moseley Braun ++ "Our sons and daughters half a world away put their lives at risk every single day with no plan in sight. Is this our America? No, we have work to do." --John Edwards ++ And sometimes they get it right: "I didn't duck it, I didn't avoid it, I voted to support our troops and I am proud of it. ... If everyone had voted the way John Kerry did, the money wouldn't have been there to support our troops." --Joe Lieberman

From a Demo presidential campaign stuck in neutral: "America cannot put its foot on the accelerator of war and advocate peace. ... Freedom bids us to free ourselves from the shackles of violence. When peace becomes innermost, it then becomes outermost in our communities and our nation." --Dennis Kucinich on bringing "outermost peace" around our nation

Some "Demo-Goguery": "If you want to live like a Republican, you've got to vote for the Democrats." --Rep. Dick Gephardt

A light in the darkness... "In terms of the percentage of voters who identify themselves as Democrats, the Democratic Party is currently in its weakest position since the dawn of the New Deal." --Clintonista Mark Penn

______----********O********----______
VILLAGE IDIOTS

This week's "Hollywonk" Award: "The past few years of conflict mean that yet another generation of Israelis and Palestinians will grow up in hatred. We cannot allow that to happen." --Actor Brad Pitt and his actress wife, Jennifer Aniston, announcing launch of a Hollywood attempt at bringing a Middle East peace, which will also include seasoned diplomatist Danny DeVito

From the "Global Village": "We hope the firing will be more precise and efficient [next time], so we get rid of this microbe and people like him in Washington who are spreading disorder in Arab lands, Iraq and Palestine." --Walid Jumblatt, Lebanese politician and Druze community leader, lamenting that U.S. Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz was unhurt in a Baghdad rocket attack last weekend

This week's "Tyranny of the Few" Award: "Segregation is a bad thing on the basis of race. Involvement of religion in government is a bad thing, and I want it all gone just as I would like all racism gone and all the other bad things. ...We have a Constitution that says it shouldn't be part of our government." --Semiprofessional atheist Michael Newdow, pledging his allegiance to eliminating religious liberty for all citizens

This week's "Gender Disorientation Disorder" Award: "My mom liked it actually. And my dad, weirdly enough, he thought it was fine, too. I mean, come on ... it's Madonna. ... Oh my gosh [she is an] amazing kisser!" --Britney Spears on her lip-lock with Madonna on a televised music award show.

Patrick Moore reformed?... "[Greenpeace has adopted] a new philosophy of radical environmentalism... [Its] agenda is a greater threat to the global environment than that posed by mainstream society." --Greenpeace Founder, Dr. Patrick Moore on Greenpeace today

From the "Village Academic Curriculum" File: Christina Lough, a 13-year old A+ student at Garland McMeans Junior High in Katy, Texas, is spending seven days in a "special disciplinary class" and will lose her post as student council and honor society president, because -- you guessed it -- she was caught at school with a small folding knife used for pencil sharpening. Zero tolerance, don't you know: "If we vary from the rules, that's when the rules fall apart," notes school district lawyer Christopher Gilbert

______----********O********----______
SHORT CUTS

"Here's a note to [atheist] Michael Newdow, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and all the other humor-impaired individuals whose time is spent obsessing on such Earth-shaking issues as the total elimination of religious references from the public venue. God just called ... and he says you should get a life." --Ron Marr

"No Democrat wants to tell the leaders of their party that they have halitosis." --Georgia Demo Sen. Zell Miller

"For Democratic candidates, [Bill Clinton] is the equivalent of kryptonite. He stands next to them, and they die." --GOP consultant Craig Shirley

"If [Wesley] Clark thought that [Serbia's Slobodan] Milosevic was a formidable foe, he is about to learn the far more ruthless tactics of Political Warfare 101." --John O'Sullivan

"Those people who have been saying that California can go to blazes seem to know what they have been talking about. ...After three months of gubernatorial candidates blowing smoke Californians should have known that there would be fire out there somewhere." --Lyn Nofziger

Jay Leno.... As you may have heard, the U.S. is putting together a constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? Think about it -- it was written by very smart people, it's served us well for over two hundred years, and besides, we're not using it anymore. .... A bill allowing illegal immigrants from anywhere in the world to receive drivers licenses was passed by the California state assembly. And if you snuck in the country from the Middle East they'll not only give you a drivers license, they'll throw in a pilot's license too. .... You read about all these terrorists, most of them came here legally, but they hung around on these expired visas, some for as long as 10-15 years. Now, compare that to Blockbuster; you are two days late with a video and these people are all over you. Let's put Blockbuster in charge of immigration.

David Letterman.... Top Cool Things About Having a Bodybuilder as Governor: Every California classroom will have a Soloflex; The Mr. Olympia contest now gets full coverage on C-SPAN; He'll take that 8-billion-dollar deficit and... uh... punch it, I guess; Will put an end to America's dependence on foreign protein shakes; He is nice; It's very entertaining -- as long as he's not governor of your state; He'll have something to fall back on when he gets recalled.

Argus Hamilton.... Don Rumsfeld admitted in a leaked Pentagon memo on [last] Wednesday that the war in Iraq will be a long, hard slog. The American people already feel that way. As soon as the administration decided not to seize the oil, the fun went right out of it. .... President Bush flew to the South Seas Wednesday for a meeting in Bali. He was protected during his three-hour visit by warships, an armored limousine and five thousand cops. The President wanted to show Americans that it's safe to travel again. .... Hillary Clinton will emcee an Iowa dinner November 15th with all Democratic candidates in attendance. ... Democrats wonder if she will use the night to support the other candidates or declare her own candidacy. She promised she will stand by her principles, so it could go either way.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis! Mark Alexander, Publisher, for the editors and staff. (Please pray on this day, and every day, for our Patriot Armed Forces standing in harm's way around the world in defense of our liberty, and for the families awaiting their safe return.)

-- PUBLIUS --

SUBSCRIBE: FREE by E-mail! Get your own subscription to The Federalist!
Link to -- http://Federalist.com/subscribe/
or if you don't have Web access, send a blank e-mail to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(Friday's Federalist Digest is available in print for $245/year. For more information, send a message to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION: Send The Federalist to your friends and associates!
Link to -- http://Federalist.com/addmultiple.asp
PRIVACY NOTICE: We do NOT release ANY information on our users or subscribers to any third party under any circumstances, nor do we accept any third party advertising to our lists.
REPRINT AND FORWARD POLICY: Subscribers may reprint or forward The Federalist, in whole or part. If reprinting to another publication, please include the appropriate citation [The Federalist (Federalist.com)] in accordance with "fair use" rules, and our Subscriber/User Disclaimer. (For questions, contact our legal department at: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>).
PATRIOT'S LIBRARY: Link to -- http://Federalist.com/books/
FEDERALIST CATALOG: Link to -- http://kerusso.com/TheFederalist/catalog/default.php

UNSUBSCRIBE: Click on the "Manage your subscription" link at the top of this edition, or if you don't have Web access, send a blank e-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

SUPPORT THE FEDERALIST! We are not sustained by any political, special interest or parent organization, and we accept no advertising. Our mission and operations are funded entirely by the voluntary financial support of our Patriot readers -- like you! (To avoid IRS restrictions on our editorial content, we do not declare "charitable" tax status)

Support Online -- http://Federalist.com/support.asp

Support by Mail -- make your check payable to "The Federalist" and please note your e-mail address on your check so our publisher can thank you. Suggested support levels: Family Defender -- $25, Frontline Patriot -- $50, Company Command -- $75, Battalion Command -- $100, Regiment Command -- $250, Division Command -- $500, Corps Command -- $1000. (Family and Frontline supporters are critical to our success.) For more information on joining The Federalist Founder's Circle of major donors, contact <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Send your contribution to:
Federalist Patriot Fund
P.O. Box 507
Chattanooga, TN 37401-0507

Help drive traffic in the "right" direction! Get a free selection of high quality (removable) Federalist stickers for bulletin boards, windows or bumpers. Include a self-addressed stamped (SASE) #10 (10" business) envelope with your donation, and we will send you our trademark slogans "Veritas vos Liberabit" (the truth will set you free), "Annoy a Leftist," and other stickers.
COMMENTS: Our servers automatically delete "Reply" messages to this e-mail. To read or submit comments for publication,
link to -- http://Federalist.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please hold your comments to 75 words if you want them posted. For other comments, e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Questions about The Federalist may be directed to Executive Editor, Mark Alexander, Senior Editor Cassandra Cornell, Research Editor John Machen, Feature Editors Jonah Walton and Brett Anthony, Legal Editor Michael Coleman, Technical Directors Jeffrey Thomas and Joshua Murray, Advisory Committee liaison Faith Long, or Subscriptions Manager Michele Hope by e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Regarding editing errors: We put at least one in every issue -- just to see if you are paying attention!)
ABOUT THE FEDERALIST: Link to -- http://Federalist.com/main/about.asp
Subscribers agree to the terms of the Subscriber/User Disclaimer at: http://Federalist.com/disclaimer.asp
E-mail President Bush, link to -- http://www.whitehouse.gov/webmail
Contact your Senator -- http://www.senate.gov/senators/senator_by_state.cfm
Contact your Representative -- http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html
White House switchboard: (202) 456-1414
House and Senate switchboard: (202) 224-3121
Links to Central Government Agencies -- http://www.firstgov.gov/
Visit the most comprehensive tribute to Ronald Reagan on the Internet and read the definitive conservative platform for the next century -- http://www.Reagan2020.com/
"FRUIT FROM THE TREE OF LIBERTY" The Federalist is an advocate of individual rights and responsibilities as ordained by God and established in the governmental context framed by our nation's Founders in our Declaration of Independence and its subordinate guidance, our Republic's Constitution, as explicated by The Federalist Papers. Our mission is to provide Constitutional Conservatives with a quick-reading e-journal digesting a wide spectrum of reliable information from reputable research, advocacy and media organizations -- a brief, timely, informative and entertaining survey and analysis of the week's most significant news, policy and opinion as anecdotal rebuttal to political, social and media Leftists. The Federalist is protected speech pursuant to the First (and Second) Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.
Statement of Allegiance as subscribed by The Federalist's National Advisory Committee, Staff and Associates: "I hereby declare, on oath, that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, so help me God."

The Federalist is a publication of Publius Press, Inc.
Copyright © 1981-2003 Publius Press, Inc. All rights reserved.
The Federalist is a Town Hall Citizen Organization
In God we trust. ><>

--- End Message ---