-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:28 PM
To: 'The Sandbox Discussion List'
Subject: [Sndbox] Andy and Opie Immortalized in Statue

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Andy and Opie are on a permanent fishing trip -
immortalized in a bronze statue unveiled Tuesday by Andy Griffith, whose
portrayal of a genial Southern sheriff has become a television staple.

The sculpture depicts the scene in the opening credits of "The Andy Griffith
Show" in which Sheriff Andy Taylor walks to a fishing hole with his son,
Opie, to the tune of the jaunty, whistled theme song.

"That beats anything. I kind of wish I looked like that now," the
white-haired, 77-year-old Griffith told hundreds of fans who gathered next
to a pond in Raleigh's Pullen Park for the morning ceremony.

The cable network TV Land agreed to build and maintain the statue at no cost
to the city, similar to deals over the past two years that placed a Mary
Tyler Moore statue in Minneapolis and a statue of Jackie Gleason's
"Honeymooners" character, Ralph Kramden, in New York City.

Griffith, who's from Mount Airy, now lives on the North Carolina coast in
Manteo. Some in Mount Airy - considered a model for Mayberry - have grumbled
that their town is a better spot for the statue.

The actor said the Raleigh park was a great location, but added "I hope
they'll do something for Mount Airy in the future."