What if the police tape record the questioning? Wouldn't that be about the same thing?  Would that mean that people are insulting themselves? What about me when I talk country talk, like ya'll and ain't or good gawd? Is that insulting? Geesh. :-)

David L.

Ben Franklin:  “Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt, they have more need of masters.”

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 4:27 PM
To: 'The Sandbox Discussion List'
Subject: [Sndbox] Hey... maybe the idjits could just learn to speak english?

What Happens When Columnists Run out of Ideas

Denver police are unnecessarily driving a wedge into an already divided community by accurately transcribing their interviews with African-American witnesses, reports columnist Jim Spencer of the Denver Post.

Denver Police records routinely have phrases like "aks" instead of "ask," "sumpin'" for “something” and "baf'room" for “bathroom.”

"It's not only insensitive, it's insulting," said the Rev. Gill Ford, the NAACP's regional director and a member of the state's Peace Officer Standards and Training Board.

But the police say everyone gets treated the same way, regardless of race.

"I know the implication is that someone is trying to put a racial spin on something," explained Al LaCabe, the police’s public safety manager. "But the transcriptionists are trying to be as accurate as possible."