Ready for Greek Fest?

DINING IN

Last update: 08 November 2003

Less than a week remains before that Hellenic Brigadoon, the Daytona Greek Festival opens for another four-day stand at St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church. It's a highlight of the year for me.

The organizers of the 26-year-old festival have added new features every year I've attended -- about a decade now -- but managed to maintain all of the old favorites, too. This year, food-wise, the newcomer is a chocolate dessert, called "pastas" or "koks."

"These cold eclair-type pastries use filo, greek custard and chocolate to satisfy the sweet tooth in you," says Tasso Kiriakes, a festival chairman. "Other popular sweets are: galaktobouriko, made with filo, custard, and honey; and koulourakia, which are twisted butter cookies topped with sesame seeds."

Although the sweets are wonderful, our personal favorites run toward the savory: dolmathakia, grape leaves stuffed with rice and chopped beef, for my husband and spanakopita, a spinach-filled pie, for me.

During the countdown to the event, I'm going to try to eat sensibly, and that might mean one fish dinner. Seafood at the festival is limited to fried calamari -- delicious but definitely not diet food.

If you're interested in trying it all out, the hours are : 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Nov. 15 and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 16. The church's addresss is 129 N. Halifax Drive, Daytona Beach. Admission is $1, with free admission Thursday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For other details, visit www.saintdemetriosdaytona.org or call (386) 252-6012.

In the meantime, to make the recipe below, you'll need:

FROM THE STORE

· Sole filets. (This is a lean fish, and many substitutions are possible. Try black sea bass, cod, croaker, flounder, haddock, hake, halibut, perch, pollack, red snapper, rockfish or tilefish.)

· Red peppers (either roasted at home or purchased, jarred).

· Greek green olives.

· Brandy, if desired (I might go for something a little more authentic, such as metaxa).

· Fresh parsley.

FROM THE KITCHEN

· Salt and pepper.

· Olive oil.

cathy.klasne@news-jrnl.com

Greek Filets of Sole With Olives

Makes 4 servings. From News-Journal files.

4 sole filets

1/3 cup olive oil

4 roasted red peppers

1/2 cup Greek green olives

1 Tbsp. parsley

Salt and pepper

1/4 cup brandy, optional

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place fish filets (6 oz. each) in baking dish; drizzle with olive oil. Top with roasted peppers (peeled, seeded and cut into strips) and pitted olives; sprinkle with chopped parsley, salt and freshly ground pepper. Bake 10 minutes. If desired, pour brandy over fish and ignite. When flames subside, serve immediately