Addendum:
This was in the article:

Primaries usually don't get turnout much higher than 20 percent of registered voters, but they're better than caucuses. In Missouri, the 2000 primary brought 745,000 people to the polls, while the 1996 caucus brought 20,000, the state Democratic Party said.

Can't we see how big of a difference there is between 745,000 people voting and 20,000 people voted for a nominee?  That's just frightening.  The folks supporting this notion are power hungry and trying to consolidate the power base to insure they get the official anointed nominee in the spot.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 5:05 PM
To: 'The Sandbox Discussion List'
Subject: RE: [Sndbox] whaddya think?

Currently in a primary you have 15-20% deciding who is going to be the party candidate.  If they scrap the primaries then you will have a 3-5% handful of the elite in the party making the decision.  How can that be a good thing?  I think the 20% number is appalling, but dropping it to single digits is a step to disaster.