enberg In Alias

David Cronenberg is coming out of the closet and he's choosing to do so on
national TV.

"I think a lot of directors are closet actors, and I'm no exception," says
Cronenberg from his offices in Toronto.

"When we were growing up, my sister and I used to put on plays in our living
room. I loved performing, but I loved directing more."

Cronenberg, who turned 60 in March, began writing and directing for Canadian
TV in the mid '60s.

His feature film career began in 1975 when he wrote and directed the
low-budget horror flick Shivers.

He cemented his reputation as Canada's master of the macabre with films like
Rabid, Scanners, The Fly and Videodrome.

Though he often gave himself cameos in his films, Cronenberg made his true
acting debut in 1985 opposite Michelle Pfeiffer, Jeff Goldblum and Dan
Aykroyd in John Landis' comic thriller Into the Night.

He also had a major role in Clive Barker's 1990 Nightbreed.

"I don't do that much acting because not too many directors or producers
think of me that way."

This was not the case with J.J. Abrams, the creator of the hit series Alias.

Last month he phoned to offer Cronenberg the role of the memory psychologist
who agrees to try to unlock the memory of Agent Sydney Bristow (Jennifer
Garner).

The role is a pivotal one because the season is centred on a Bourne Identity
style case of amnesia.

Sydney has no recollection of the past two years of her life.

"That call came totally out of the blue. I met Jeffrey 15 years ago. He had
a script called Speedracer he talked to me about directing," recalls
Cronenberg.

The project never came to fruition, but when Abrams called he told
Cronenberg "he'd never forgotten how we got along and said he felt my work
has been an influence on his. When you consider what he's accomplished with
Alias, that's quite a complement."

Abrams also explained to Cronenberg "he didn't want a too familiar face to
play the doctor, which is another reason he came to me."

Cronenberg says his therapist is not a mad doctor, but hints he is "a bit
eccentric as all memorable movie doctors, scientists and psychiatrists tend
to be."

It's quite an assignment he has in the Sunday episode of Alias.

"The procedure is dangerous because it could leave Sydney deranged or it
could cause her to lose the memory of those two years forever. Even if it is
successful, there's the question of what exactly happened to Sydney during
those lost years."

Cronenberg has become a fan of Garner.

"She's a wonderful actress, but she's also an incredible athlete.

"I had a great deal of fun on the set because Jennifer loves to laugh and
she sets a wonder atmosphere on the set. I would love to work with her again
perhaps on one of my films."

It was having worked with Goldblum on Into the Night that prompted
Cronenberg to craft the central role of the doctor who morphs into a giant
insect in 1986's The Fly.

"Making a film is a bit like going to war, so you want a few comrades in
arms. That was certainly the case with Jeff, and I feel it could be with
Jennifer too."

Cronenberg had been working on a project he called Painkillers, but he says
he's pushed it to a back burner.

"Because a film takes two or three years of your life, I have to be excited
about a script and Painkillers just isn't doing it.

"I may return to it at a later date, but I've just begun working on a new
idea that may or may not be my next film."

Until Cronenberg the director is ready to go back to work, Cronenberg the
actor is available for odd jobs.