They already do thanks to piracy. :-0)

-- Jen --

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 12:03 PM
To: 'The Sandbox Discussion List'
Subject: [Sndbox] Movies Off The Web Possible by 2005

Movies Off The Web Possible by 2005

HOLLYWOOD (UPI) -- Hollywood executive Jack Valenti has said technological developments could mean newly released films being available online by 2005. The Motion Picture Association Of America chief said issues of secure delivery were nearly resolved, and that eventually, the BBC reported films could go straight from big screen to Internet well before rental release on DVD and videotape. According to Valenti, film industry insiders are working with a number of companies, including Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard to develop a secure system for delivering films to the Internet.

"I really do believe that maybe by this time next year we'll be able to have the beginnings of some really sturdy, protective clothing to put about these movies," Valenti said. Many of this year's blockbusters, including "The Matrix Reloaded" and "Hulk" were available before they were released in theaters. One service, Movielink, allows users to download films for a fee -- although most films are not made available until a few months after they have been in theaters, and currently the service is only available in the United States.