Traditions Transformed

A group of Civil War (search) buffs in Albany, Ga., have been forbidden from marching in the annual Christmas parade there because their presence offended some of the other marchers, reports WALB-TV.

For the past 12 years, members of the Second Confederate War Between the States re-enactment group have marched in the city’s annual Celebration of Lights Christmas Parade. This year, they were told they were not welcome.

The re-enactors spend the rest of the year going around to schools showing young children what life was like for soldiers in the 1860s. The president of the group, Harry Robertson, lamented the city’s decision, saying: "We are not racist. We are not the Klan. We are a heritage preservation organization."