By JANE WARDELL

LONDON (AP) - David Hemmings, a British screen icon of the swinging '60s
best known for starring as a fashion photographer in the 1966 film "Blow
Up," died while filming a movie in Romania. He was 62.

Hemmings died Wednesday after paramedics on the film set of "Samantha's
Child" were unable to revive him, his agent, Liz Nelson, said.

"He had just finished his final shots of the day and was going back to his
dressing room," she said.

Hemmings was one of the screen icons of the swinging '60s but later went
behind the camera to focus on directing and producing TV shows like the
"A-Team," and "Airwolf." He returned to acting in Ridley Scott's 2000 epic
"Gladiator" and most recently appeared in "The League of Extraordinary
Gentlemen."

Born Nov. 18, 1941 in Guildford, England, Hemmings was a notable boy soprano
and was featured in English Opera Group performances of the works of
Benjamin Britten.

After his voice changed, Hemmings studied painting at the Epsom School of
Art where he staged his first exhibition at 15.

He returned to singing in his early 20s with nightclub appearances before
moving onto the stage and gradually into films.

His early British movie roles usually saw him cast as misunderstood youths
and belligerent "Teddy Boys," leading to his role in Michelangelo
Antonioni's "Blow Up," which won Cannes' Golden Palm award in 1967.

"I desperately wanted to work for him. This was a job you seek," Hemmings
later said of the role.

Hemmings played a fashion photographer, reportedly based on David Bailey,
who believes he may have unwittingly photographed a dead man. Scenes in
which he photographed a model, played by Vanessa Redgrave, have often been
ranked among the sexiest moments captured on screen.

His boyish good looks were also put to use in the science-fiction romp
"Barbarella" and the film version of the stage musical "Camelot."

In 1975, Hemmings played the title role in "By Jeeves," a short-running
collaboration between Alan Ayckbourn and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

With 1972's "Running Scared," Hemmings began a new career as a director of
several movie and TV productions in England, Australia and Canada.

The two careers ran in parallel for several years with his directing credits
including the movie "Just a Gigolo," but by the 1980s his TV directing took
precedence with shows such as "Magnum PI,""Airwolf,""The A-Team" and
"Quantum Leap."

"People thought I was dead. But I wasn't. I was just directing The A-Team,"
he once remarked.

Hemmings returned to acting in 2002 with the role of Cassius in the
Oscar-winning "Gladiator." Other recent roles include parts in "Gangs of New
York,""Spy Game" and "Mean Machine."

Hemmings is survived by his fourth wife, Lucy Williams, and their two
children. He also has three sons and one daughter from three earlier
marriages, according to his entry in "Who's Who."