Dang! I take back what I said... some of the good guys are
actually trying...... the poor fellows.... :|

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 08:01 PM, Charles wrote:

Bush Hung Up on Conservative Congressman

President Bush slammed down the phone after a conservative Republican congressman turned down his plea to vote for the White House's massive expansion of Medicare.

According to The Hill, Rep. Tom Feeney, a former speaker of the Florida House of Representatives and a rising star among U.S. House Republicans, apparently angered the president when he reportedly said, "I came here to cut entitlements, not grow them."

'Me Too'?!

Snapped Bush, "Me too, pal," before banging down the phone.

The president was reported to have made numerous calls seeking to persuade reluctant conservatives to vote for the controversial budget-busting measure.

GOP aides told The Hill that other conservative GOP congressmen voting against the bill, which squeaked through the House Nov. 22 with a bare five-vote margin, included Reps. Mike Pence of Indiana, John Culberson of Texas, Jeff Flake of Arizona, Roscoe Bartlett of Maryland and Jim Ryun of Kansas.

The bill passed the Senate by a 54-44 vote.

Observers said conservatives were upset by the failure of the Bush administration and the House Republican leadership to restrain federal spending. Some voted for the bill only after being urged by the president.