By Rick Porter

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - "Angel" star David Boreanaz will pull double duty
on a January episode of the series.
In addition to his usual leading role as the vampire-with-a-soul title
character, Boreanaz also makes his directorial debut with the episode,
titled "Soul Purpose."

"It was a really fantastic journey for me," Boreanaz tells Zap2it.com about
stepping behind the camera. "I had a great time."

Except for one thing: "I found myself immersed in the work so heavily that I
really needed some sleep, but I couldn't because I had to shoot the next
episode," he says. Nonetheless, Boreanaz found the experience rewarding and
hopes he gets a chance to direct again somewhere down the line.

In the episode, Angel is disturbed by a series of dreams in which Spike
(James Marsters) takes over Angel's role as champion, continuing a plot
thread from earlier in the season. Boreanaz says Marsters and the rest of
the cast responded well to him as a director.

"They really gave me everything they had and were very supportive," he says.
"I wanted them to make it an enjoyable experience for them as well -- to
really enjoy the rehearsal process and make them feel [the episode] was
partly theirs, because it is. I feel that way when I rehearse when we're
with another director, so I wanted them to be part of that as much as they
possibly could."

"Soul Purpose" is scheduled to air Wednesday, Jan. 21.