Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

> What should humankind's priorities be with regard to
space?

I think the #1 thing we should do is make it possible for
commercial entities to succeed without having to depend on
the government.  Yes, the government should do certain
things that businesses can't, but still....

> Exploit near-Earth asteroids to improve our quality of
life

This wouldn't be done to improve quality of life so much as
it would be done to gain access to natural resources that
are becoming increasingly hard to obtain on Earth.  The
asteroids offer great potential as sources of valuable heavy
metals, for instance.

> Planetary exploration

Exploration in and of itself is worthy, but should be
considered a means to an end and not an end in itself.

> Establishing a base on the Moon

This will probably be necessary as a prerequisite step for
future explorations.  For starters, as the lunar gravity
well is only about 1/6 as strong as that of Earth, escaping
it takes far less energy.  It would also be easier to do
some kinds of construction or materials synthesis in the
Moon's vacuum, though the Moon does not have the
microgravity of orbital space stations.  (Lack of gravity is
an advantage in some situations, but not in others.)

> Stick with the space station concept

The space station needs to be expanded and completed,
probably as the first priority.  It can be used as a point
for further travel.

> Quit wasting money on space exploration

This concept that money invested in space exploration is
wasted is a serious error.  First, the money is not spent in
space, it's spent on Earth....

> Use only unmanned vehicles

Unmanned vehicles certainly have their place, but having
humans on board gives mission planners alternatives simply
not available if they are not.

Best wishes and God bless,
Lowell