From: Charles
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 11:21 AM
Subject: [Sndbox] Julia Roberts: Turning to J-Lo's Ex-Guru?

Julia Roberts: Turning to J-Lo's Ex-Guru?

AP
Julia Roberts.
I was hoping to tell you that Julia Roberts is getting a divorce. Or is pregnant. Or both. Alas, neither is true. Simply, Roberts is happy. Rats! She's happily married, and she's in a good mood. She isn't pregnant. (Marcia Gay Harden is, and she's happy too.)

Julia, with an Oscar under her belt and the box office at her beck and call, is on top of the world. At the premiere of "Mona Lisa Smile" last night, Roberts  who really looked stunning  made a big effort to greet her fans, mingle with the hoi polloi (the little people), and spend some time with the large cast of this sure-fire hit.

"Mona Lisa Smile" is not going bring in the "Master and Commander" crowd. It's a chick-flick, a date movie, and one that will pack theatres. That's the way it goes.

When finally I got my time with her, I asked Julia  who had a queue of well-wishers cooling their heels  to tell me one secret about someone in Hollywood.

"Everyone's gay," she said. She laughed. She was kidding. Standing with her: Benny Medina, the man who made "J-Lo" a household word, wearing a cashmere sweater and a smile.

"Are you managing Julia now?" I asked.

She laughed. In fact, knowing Roberts, she's likely managing him.

The cast of "Mona Lisa Smile" was all in attendance at the very swell, very packed party at the Plaza Hotel. Julia Stiles, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Dominic West, Ginnifer Goodwin, and the great Marian Seldes were all busy complimenting and hugging each other. Harden, a shoo-in nominee for Best Supporting Actress from "Mystic River," greeted Tim Robbins, a shoo-in nominee for Best Supporting Actor from the same movie. Jeff Bridges moved around the most calmly, as befits a big star with nothing to prove.

I also ran into Patrick Dempsey, who's defied the odds of a teen star. He has matured, and is now ready, at 37, for leading man status. And Joan Lunden (who has six-month-old twins at home), "Station Agent" director Thomas McCarthy, freshly minted Columbia Pictures co-president Michael Lynton, Time Inc., editorial director John Huey, TV anchor Dan Abrams and his cousin, Virgin Records honcho Josh Deutsch, were just a few of the familiar faces in the crowd.

Julia's long time former agent, Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas, who is now her producing partner, was there of course with her lawyer husband, Dan Thomas. It was their eighth anniversary; they were married at the Plaza. Talk about dedication.

Who was missing? "Clive Owen said he'd be here," a disappointed Roberts said of the co-star of her next film, "Closer."

In the game of who's more powerful in Hollywood, you'd think Roberts would have been stationary, accepting visits from her supporting cast. But it was Julia who suddenly crossed the great divide of the Plaza's Palm Court and came to say hello to all the other ladies. She nearly devoured Seldes. Then Roberts, Kirsten Dunst, Stiles and Goodwin went into a huddle where they gossiped in a whisper for a full five minutes. Finally, I asked the girls if Julia was a good teacher.

"We're gossiping!" Julia said. In the movie, she plays the girls' teacher, even though no one in history ever had a teacher that looked like Roberts.

"She was a good sister," said the more diplomatic Stiles, who then introduced Roberts to her father.

"She was the lynchpin in the group," Roberts said to Stiles' dad as if giving a parent-teacher report. "We just loved her. She's incredibly talented."

Now where, you might ask, is Roberts' husband, Danny Moder, and where are they spending Christmas? It turns out that Moder  who was a camera man when Roberts met him but was director of photography, second unit, for "Mona Lisa"  is away working on another Revolution/Columbia film, "The Forgotten." But he and Roberts will spend the holidays, Julia says, together with her family. How completely...uh...normal.