Supermodel heiress swiped my luggage at celebrity hotel
John Daly-Peoples

Staying at an upmarket hotel is no guarantee things won't go horribly wrong as they continue to be the haunts of the predatory celebrities. Checking out of the Lyall Hotel in Melbourne's South Yarra my bags were filched by supermodel Paris Hilton -- the heiress to the Hilton millions -- and only retrieved from her minder minutes before she got on her flight to the US.

It was probably the similarity of our suitcases but I suspect ulterior motives. So just be wary of getting too close to these celebrities next time you are travelling.

Presumably Paris was staying at the Lyall because of its proximity to some of the more exclusive shops in Melbourne, so there is no need to shop in the city itself.

It also has some big shopping complexes such as the Jam Factory and The Prahan Markets. Within a short distance is Issey Miyake with men's and women's fashions, Feraud with its recent Paris menswear collection and Saks, which has women's designer labels from Europe. Guests at the Lyall also get a 10% discount from most of the stores.

There are also ordinary local shops and a small superette on the corner and a train station close by.

The hotel, just off the Toorak Rd, is in a suburban street and the interior is designed to look more like a large house than a hotel, with a small library just off the lobby which has a good selection of books and magazines.

The foyers and hallways feature a number of contemporary aboriginal works, which provide a good overview of the current indigenous art scene.

The hotel offers extras such as free parking, gymnasium, bicycles and a large collection of CDs, videos and DVDs.

The hotel's Bistro Lyall is a relaxed and elegant place to dine but there is also a host of restaurants nearby including Greek, Japanese and Sardinian. Ecco Restaurant just around the corner does a superb bruschetta and orecchiette and there is the always crowded France Soir with genuine French waiters.

To see something of the city's elegant past a trip to nearby Como is worth a visit. The recently restored mid -19th century mansion with elegant gardens overlooking the Yarra River is one of the few surviving examples of grand colonial architecture in the inner city.

John Daly-Peoples stayed in Melbourne courtesy of the Lyall Hotel and Leading Small Hotels of the World