Final Days in the Life At Jennicam

_____Recent Columns_____
Few Making A List, Fewer Checking It Twice (The Washington Post, Nov 30, 2003)
Ads Heading Out To Yahoo E-Mail Users (The Washington Post, Nov 23, 2003)
Evite Upgrades Its Arsenal for Party Planners (The Washington Post, Nov 16, 2003)
Web Watch Archive
Leslie Walker's .com
E-Mail This Article
Print This Article
Permission to Republish
Subscribe to The Post
By Mike Musgrove
Sunday, December 7, 2003; Page F07

After seven years, it looks like former Washington resident Jennifer Ringley is finally turning off the webcams.

An announcement on Ringley's site last week said that the Jennicam show will close at the end of the year. But so far, the woman who shared everything -- yes, everything -- about her daily life has not revealed at her site why she's pulling the shutters. She did not respond to an e-mail sent midafternoon Friday.

Online payment service PayPal could be one culprit. In October, Ringley forwarded some of her subscribers an e-mail from PayPal telling her the company had closed her account because its policy prohibits "the sale of items for mature audiences" (patient viewers have been able to catch the redhead in the altogether).

"They've disabled my account so I'm not able to accept subscriptions," she wrote in the e-mail. "I guess I've given up." A spokeswoman for PayPal confirmed that the company had closed her account because of the presence of nudity on the site.

Canadian Jennicam fan Paul Brown told The Post in an e-mail Friday that he was sad to see Jennicam close.

"In a sense I'd like to have maintained the surveillance for the rest of her life. . . . as a sociological experiment and a life-narrative art project," he said. "I wish we'd been able to see it out."

At the peak of Jennicam's popularity, around the turn of the millennium, Ringley told The Post that her site got an average of 100 million visitors a week.