I don't see anything wrong with this kind of justice
in cases like this.

Laurie

<http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39627000/gif/_39627931_pakistan_punja
> b_map203.gif>
> A court in Pakistan has sentenced a man to be
> blinded by acid after he
> carried out a similar attack on his fiancée.
>
> The court in the town of Bahawalpur, Punjab
> province, sentenced Mohammad
> Sajid under the Islamic Qisas law that matches crime
> and punishment.
>

> Sajid blinded and mutilated his fiancee after her
> parents called off the
> couple's engagement.
>

> Rights groups have criticised the sentence and
> observers say it is unlikely
> to be carried out.
>

> The judge passed the sentence in an anti-terrorism
> court using a law
> enforced in 1979 during the rule of the dictator
> General Zia ul-Haq.
>

> "Acid drops will be thrown into his eyes in line
> with the Islamic laws,"
> Mohammad Shahid, a court official told the Reuters
> news agency.
>

> The law allows for a like-for-like punishment unless
> clemency is agreed by
> the victim's family.
>

> Higher courts
>

> Sajid had admitted the attack, which he carried out
> in revenge for his
> fiancee's family breaking their promise.
>

> Rights activists condemned the ruling.
>

> "It is not a punishment but revenge," said Rashid
> Rehman of the Human Rights
> Commission of Pakistan.
>

> Acid attacks on women are not unusual in Pakistan,
> particularly in feudal
> and tribal areas.
>

> Rights activists say more than 70 incidents have
> been reported in Punjab
> this year.
>

> The sentence can be appealed and Qisas rulings are
> often altered by higher
> courts.
>

> Charles Mims
> http://www.the-sandbox.org
> <http://www.the-sandbox.org/>
>

> ATTACHMENT part 1.2 image/gif
name=_39627931_pakistan_punjab_map203.gif

=====
Can miles truly separate you from friends... If you want to be with someone you love,
aren't you already there?

~Richard Bach~