I'd much rather pay for something online than have to mail a check.  I hate paying bills the old fashioned way.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jen --
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 3:44 PM
To: 'The Sandbox Discussion List'
Subject: [Sndbox] Pay Speeding Tickets Online

DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowans are taking advantage of a new online service for paying speeding tickets and other traffic fines, helping to ease the mountain of traffic tickets processed each year by clerk of court offices.

The electronic pay service, which debuted Sept. 1, has collected more than $50,000 from hundreds of drivers.

Officials said the response is promising.

"People are now used to doing business online, and they appreciate the convenience," said Diane Tott, clerk of court in Story County, which collected $5,528 in electronic payments by Nov. 17.

That was second only to Polk County, which collected $14,849.

"It's a win-win situation for people and for the state," Tott said.

The free service is available 24 hours a day in all counties. Parking tickets issued by cities are not included.

Until now, ticketed motorists had to mail the tickets with payments to the local clerk of court's office or pay the fine in person at the office. Those procedures are still allowed, but online payments can be made from any computer with Internet access. The online service accepts MasterCard or Visa.

Larry Murphy, director of information technology for the courts, said electronic collections are likely to cut into the backlog of unpaid fines. "The state has a better chance of getting the fine money if it is paid within the first 30 days," he said. "There has been some discussion about expanding the service to include more serious criminal offenses. But we wanted to make sure what we have is sound before we move into that."

The online payments are another attempt to get court operations closer to people. Last year, the courts began providing online access to court records. The service is free. A fee is required for more detailed information.

____

On the Web

Online Payment: www.judicial.state.ia.us

-- Jen --