Richie's no simpleton

By Donna Freydkin, USA TODAY

The millions who have seen her Fox reality show The Simple Life might call Nicole Richie spoiled. Raunchy. Lazy. Even, well, dumb.

Nicole RIchie, seen here at the Billboard Music Awards, says her Simple Life schtick was all an act.

By Eric Jamison, AP

But to hear Richie, 22, tell it, it's all an act. Seriously.

"I'm very, very nice with really good manners. I'm not high-maintenance at all. I'm not!" she says as she orders a sandwich at Ago in Los Angeles.

On the show, filmed in Altus, Ark., last spring, Richie gives a cow a pregnancy test, frolics with locals and, along with pal and co-star Paris Hilton, shows plenty of flesh and desperately hunts for something — anything — fun to do.

But in the real world, Richie lives with her adoptive mother, Brenda Richie, in L.A. She's busy writing songs for an album and trying to kick-start an acting career.

"My life has changed so much since the show aired," says Richie. "I've been in the public eye my whole life, but this is so different. I hear people quoting me on the street! When I presented at the Billboard (Music) Awards, I couldn't even walk through the lobby. It was crazy."

In fact, Richie caused a mini-sensation at the live awards show when she tweaked her scripted lines by asking the audience whether anyone had "ever tried to get cow (expletive) out of a Prada bag." Big deal, says an unperturbed Richie. "Otherwise, we would have sounded so ditzy and stupid," she says.

Richie also doesn't discuss the murky circumstances that led her from her biological parents, who live in San Francisco, to her adoptive family, crooner Lionel Richie and his ex-wife Brenda.

"I was adopted just because I'd have a better lifestyle out here, but I try not to get into that. I'd like to keep that private," says Richie, who's still in touch with her birth parents and says they approve of The Simple Life.

While she may not have starred in an amateur sex video like Hilton, Richie has had her share of scuffles with the law. Most notably, she was arrested in February for driving with a revoked license and possessing a controlled substance. Although heroin was found in her car, she says the drugs did not belong to her.

"I pleaded no contest, and it was a bump in the road in my life and something that I've gotten through," says Richie, who spent time in rehab and was sentenced to three years' probation. "I'm really lucky to have my parents' support. I definitely have done a lot of things wrong in my life."

But no more, Richie says. Earlier this month, during a routine progress report, Judge Lawrence Mira praised Richie for staying sober.

With her legal travails behind her, Richie, who is single, is focusing on her career. She plays the cello, violin and piano and plans on recording a pop album. On Friday, she'll fly to Manhattan to audition for the Broadway show Rent. She just landed a guest appearance on the UPN sitcom Eve. And she's in talks, along with Hilton, to star in a Simple Life sequel.

"I'm sure it'll work out," she says.

<<image001.gif>>

<<image002.jpg>>

<<image003.gif>>