Joss Whedon, creator of the defunct Fox SF TV show Firefly, told SCI FI
Wire that his proposed series-based feature film will aim at an audience
that has never seen the show, but will also contain "big giant payoffs" for
faithful fans. Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) added that he's finishing
up the script for the proposed movie.

"It is still just that, a possible film," Whedon said in an interview at
the Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention. "We have a good
chance, actually. It looks like it's a real possibility. But more than that
I cannot say. ... I don't want to jinx anything."

Whedon acknowledged that it seems odd to try to mount a movie based on a
failed television show (Fox canceled Firefly after airing only 11 of the 14
produced episodes). But, he added, referring to his hit Buffy TV series,
"It also seems unusual to want to mount a show from a failed film, so you
know unusual is sort of my stock in trade. The only reason I'm doing this
is because I believed that there was a story to tell that I had not had the
opportunity to tell. And I believed that I didn't want to work with anybody
except these guys for a long while. So ... there was just too much to give
away."

Whedon declined to say which of the series' many loose threads he would tie
up in the movie. Some of those include the secret behind the Blue Sun Corp.
and its interest in River (Summer Glau); the secret behind Shepherd Book's
(Ron Glass) past; the unresolved romantic tension between Capt. Reynolds
(Nathan Fillion) and Inara (Morena Baccarin); and the unresolved romantic
tension between Simon (Sean Maher) and Kaylee (Jewel Stait).

"There are about 400 things I'd like to see wrapped up in the film," Whedon
said. "Unfortunately, then it becomes a miniseries. And so there are
certain threads that this follows up on very heavily, and certain ones that
it drops entirely. Because you have to pick and choose if it's a movie. ...
Obviously, the movie is more epic than the show. There's big action stuff
and all kinds of hijinks, but the ... development of the relationships and
who these people are and why they belong together is always going to be the
point." Firefly: The Complete Series was released on DVD on Dec. 9.