VIOLENT SHOPPING IN FOREST PARK

Thursday, December 25, 2003, 8:40 a.m.

(Forest Park, IL) -- Last-minute Christmas shopping got out of hand at a Wal-Mart in west suburban Forest Park. Police seek six people for a beating that left two other shoppers injured.

"The only that is broken on me is my heart," said victim Matthew Baures. "I don't even cry and I have tears in my eyes just thinking that on Christmas Eve this could happen to anybody."

Check-out lines were long about 6 p.m. Christmas Eve inside the Wal-Mart, at 1300 Desplaines Avenue, but Baures insists that he did nothing to provoke a woman and a girl who cut into line in front of him.

"I was totally polite," Baures said. "I just said okay, I'm not going to argue with you. I'm just going to stop talking and let her yell. l stopped talking and let her get done."

But the 22-year-old Berwyn man said the woman grew increasingly hostile and vocal. He said she stood outside, talking on a cell phone, as they left. He says moments later, a light-colored Cadillac screeched a stop in the parking lot and several men jumped out, one wielding a baseball bat, demanding to know what he'd said to the woman and girl. Baures insisted he's said nothing, but says the men began beating both him and a female friend:

"There were like four of them on me," Baures said. "They were just punching me, and I ended up on the ground. The lady I was with, Genevieve, jumped on top of me and tried to protect me from a lot of the blows and theyjust proceded to attack us."

Bauers said a sizable crowd gathered, but said no one tried to break it up. Baures, the woman, and several eyewitnesses provided detailed descriptions of the attackers, including the Cadillac's license number.

Police said the woman, girl and two of the attackers drove off in the Cadillac. Two other men drove off in a second vehicle.

Baures and the woman were treated by Forest Park paramedics. Police said the attackers could face aggravated battery charges -- if found. Stay tuned to WBBM Newsradio 780 for the latest developments on this and other stories.