There is a grocery store here that sells a bucket of them already fried...You just have to heat them up. Yuck!!!

Angela
"We are all books of blood, wherever opened we are red"

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 10:03 AM
To: 'The Sandbox Discussion List'
Subject: [Sndbox] What, exactly, are chitterlings?

What, exactly, are chitterlings?

Chitterlings or chit'lins are the intestines of young pigs, cleaned and stewed and then frequently battered and fried. Chitlin's are considered a delicacy (a special and desirable food) in South Carolina and other parts of the South. But chitlin's must be prepared carefully. They must be soaked and rinsed thoroughly in several changes of cool water, and repeatedly picked clean, by hand, of extra fat and specks. They are then boiled and simmered until tender. They can be prepared different ways. Standard recipes call for simmering the chitlin's for three to five hours in water seasoned with salt, black pepper, and perhaps hot peppers, along with vinegar and an onion. But everyone has a different recipe. Sometimes they are cooked with hog maws (hog stomach), or fried in a batter.