: [JustForFunForYou] **~Today's Entertainment News*~*~**

today's news in brief

January 05, 2003,

OOPS?
Britney Spears reportedly got married in Las Vegas Saturday to boyfriend Jason Allen Alexander. People.com says the quickie ceremony was a "joke that went too far" and Spears plans to annul the wedding.

FORGET THE HONEYMOON: Spears' record company meanwhile releasing a statement saying the popster and her new beau have already filed for an annulment, which will become official today.

RINGS
IN NEW YEAR: For a third weekend in a row, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King dominated the box-office with $30.7 million. It has now grossed $291 million domestically and $677 million worldwide.

BOX OFFICE DIVE: Tickets sales at the North American box office last year dropping sharply for the first time since 1991, with $9.27 billion sold last year, off from $9.317 billion in 2002 while attendance also fell from 1.6 billion to 1.53 billion, according to Exhibitor Relations.

SPLENDID! Shaking up the Oscar race, American Splendor
, the biopic featuring Paul Giamatti as file clerk turned comic book author Harvey Pekar, named Best Picture of the year by the National Society of Film Critics. Lost In Translation's Bill Murray snagged Best Actor and Monster's Charlize Theron took home Best Actress.

VISITING HIS DOMAIN: Newsweek reporting that Jerry Seinfeld
plans to make a cameo in an upcoming episode of HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm, starring old Seinfeld pal, Larry David. The episode will reportedly be set in the Big Apple.

NOT MUCH OF A THRILLER: CBS' Michael Jackson
Number Ones special scoring only a modest 10.6 million viewers on Friday, according to Nielsen Media Research, far fewer than the 18 million who tuned in to his 60 Minutes interview.

FAMILY TRADITION: Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin biting back at critics who say he endangered his month-old son by holding him while hand-feeding a crocodile, saying he has no qualms about doing it again. "What I would do differently is I would make sure there were no cameras around," Irwin told A Current Affair, adding that his father used to do the same thing when he was a kid.

THE FRIENDLY SKIES? A&E set to premiere on Monday night Airline, its new reality series documenting the trials and tribulations of employees at Southwest Airlines as they try and make travelers' lives easier.

SINGING FOR PEACE: Willie Nelson
debuting his new anti-war ballad, "What Ever Happened to Peace on Earth," at an Austin fund-raising concert on Saturday for Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich.

SWAPPING VOWS: Blues and jazz singer Lou Rawls, 70, tying the knot with his girlfriend of two years, 33-year-old flight attendant Malek Inman, on New Year's Day in Memphis.

RUSH RAGE: Rush lead guitarist Alex Lifeson (real name: Alex Zivojinovich) arrested for allegedly assaulting sheriff's deputies and spitting blood on one during a New Year's Eve brawl at the Ritz Hotel in Naples, Florida. Deputies said they had to use a stun gun on the musician who they described as displaying drunken, violent behavior. Zivojinovich's son said his father's nose was broken during the skirmish.

NORWEGIAN IDOL: Norway's Pop Idol, Kurt Nilsen, achieved World Idol status Thursday, beating out American Idol Kelly Clarkson to take first place in the international singing competition between Idol winners from 11 countries. Clarkson finished second and Belgium's Peter Everard took third.

LEARNED HIS LESSON: Singer Ozzy Osbourne
telling Britain's Sunday Mirror he has given up riding all-terrain vehicles for good after his near-fatal accident left him in a coma for eight days last month. "When I woke I was so confused you could have told me I was upside down in a kilt and I'd have believed you," the heavy metal icon said. "I could have died or been paralyzed."

MOURNED: British filmmaker Brian Gibson, best known for helming the award-winning English drama Blue Remembered Hills as well as such Hollywood features as The Josephine Baker Story, What's Love Got To Do With It, The Juror, died Sunday in London of bone cancer. He was 59.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<<ATT04735.jpg>>