He learns the hard way that gossip hurts

DEAR Sandbox: I recently learned that a former colleague of mine was talking about me behind my back. What he was saying was true, but it was said in a mean-spirited way and in a public setting. What's worse is that the whole reason that he even had occasion to think about me is because I sent him an e-mail sharing some good news with him. My friend, who told me about his salty comments, told me I could say something if I want to, but I'm not sure how to handle it. What's your opinion? -- Willie, New York