Call them bitch and old man... they'll love it!

-------Original Message-------

Date: Monday, January 12, 2004 05:07:24 AM
Subject: [Sndbox] Dear Sandbox 3

DEAR MISS MANNERS -- I have been with my boyfriend for 9-1/2 years. We have been living together for 4 years. I was only 16 when we started dating so I called his parents "Mr. and Mrs. surname."

They have never referred to themselves by their first names to me. So I don't feel comfortable calling them by those names. They always refer to themselves as his mother or his father. Although I don't feel comfortable calling them by their first names, I also feel that I am too old and have known them too long to call them Mr. and Mrs. What is the proper way to handle this? When is it correct to call them by their first names?