This is the college I'm thinking of going to. They (WV) are wanting to move the nursing program to a campus almost an hour from here.

CHARLESTON - West Virginia not only faces a shortfall in its finances but also a major shortage in the number of nurses in the Mountain State.
Senators John Pat Fanning, D-McDowell, and Anita Skeens Caldwell, D-Mercer, brought the lack of nurses to the attention of the Chamber Legislative Breakfast Thursday. They predicted the local area will be affected because of its expanding medical programs.

The education bill approved by the legislature last year places Bluefield State College in charge of establishing the New River Technical School in Beckley and carries the possibility that the college's highly reputable nursing school could be moved.

Caldwell said, "There were a couple of good results" from the compromise bill, but there are reports an effort may be made to move the nursing program from Bluefield State College to Beckley at the new technical school.

"We need to keep our nursing school in Bluefield," she said, noting that if one is needed in Beckley it should be opened but not by transferring the Bluefield school. The senator said it appears that if the shortage is going to be solved, "we need one everywhere."

Caldwell said the concentration now should be to improve the local nursing program, not move it.

Caldwell, a Bluefield High School teacher, said, "As the population ages, we are going to need more nurses to take care of our people." She also noted the addition of a heart center in Bluefield will increase the demand for nurses.

Bluefield State College Community Relations Director Jim Nelson said BSC currently offers an associate RN degree (two years) and a BSN degree (four years) and has made arrangements for a master of science degree in nursing thorough a collaborative agreement with Marshall University.

He said soon nurses from southern West Virginia can earn a master's degree in nursing without leaving the region. Marshall and BSC have entered into a collaborative agreement to deliver the MU master of science in nursing degree, with an emphasis in nursing education and nursing administration.

Nelson said the new program is consistent with the mission of Bluefield State College and its BSN program, providing students with an affordable, geographically accessible opportunity for public higher education.

He said area hospitals are supporting the BSC program and have expressed the importance the nursing school plays in filling their nursing positions.

"One of the biggest problems facing the state is the shortage of nurses," Fanning said, reporting a shortfall of 7,000 nurses is projected for 2008. The problem is not unique to West Virginia, nationally a reduction in nursing school students and nurses on the job is growing.

"We have to prepare for this shortfall," Fanning said. He noted that while the number of males enrolling in nursing programs is growing, many women who formerly would have sought nursing careers are not turning to positions as lawyers and physicians. He said during a recent visit by a nursing class in West Virginia, of the 164 members of the class, 77 were males.

Angela

"I watched with glee while your kings and queens fought for ten decades for the gods they made"