FAIRFAX, Va. - No one ever confused the Fairfax County jail with a motel, but they now have something in common. Both require you to pay to stay.

Fairfax Sheriff Stan Barry announced Tuesday that effective immediately, prisoners at the adult detention center are paying $1 a day to help defray the cost of their keep.

The money will be deducted from individual accounts established when inmates are brought to the jail. Any cash they have on them is placed into their account, and can be used for such things as haircuts, which cost $5. There is also a jail commissary that sells snacks.

Prisoners who come in without money, and do not get any from relatives or friends, will not be penalized.

"We have not implemented a policy to collect that yet, although we are looking at alternatives down the road to collecting delinquent accounts," said 1st Lt. Tyler Corey of the Sheriff's Office.

A state law that took effect last year allows sheriffs and jail superintendents to charge inmates a fee of no more than $1 a day "to defray the costs associated with the prisoners' keep." Corey said Virginia Beach began a similar program in July.

Angela

"I watched with glee while your kings and queens fought for ten decades for the gods they made"