Singer Randy VanWarmer dies at 48

NASHVILLE -- Singer/songwriter Randy VanWarmer, who recorded the 1979 hit ballad "Just When I Needed You Most," died Monday in Seattle of leukemia. He was 48. VanWarmer, who wrote his most famous song when he was 18, went on to be a top songwriter after his career as a pop artist faded. In 1985, he moved to Nashville, where he penned such hits as the Oak Ridge Boys' "I Guess It Never Hurts to Hurt Sometimes" and Alabama's "I'm in a Hurry (And Don't Know Why)." Other VanWarmer songs were recorded by Dolly Parton, Chet Atkins, Charley Pride, Conway Twitty, Michael Johnson and Neal Coty, Billboard reported Wednesday. VanWarmer, who had been sick for about a year, was being treated at the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle when he died.