A British television commentator who used the phrases "suicide bombers, limb-amputators and women repressors" in reference to Arabs is becoming a cause-celebre for free speech after being suspended from his job at the BBC because of the comments, reports ITV.

In a column published Jan. 4 in London’s Sunday Express, Robert Kilroy-Silk also lashed out at Arab extremists who murdered 3,000 civilians on Sept. 11 and "danced in the hot, dusty streets" afterward.

The BBC immediately suspended him from his daily BBC-TV chat show following complaints from Muslim groups.

Kilroy-Silk apologized for any offense taken, but Britain’s Commission for Racial Equality nevertheless said it would refer the article to police in case it incited race hate and violated public order laws.

In an interview with the Sunday Telegraph, Kilroy-Silk asserted his right to speak his mind.

"If I am not allowed to say that there are Arab states that are evil, despotic and treat women abominably, if I am not allowed to say that, which I know to be a fact, then what can I say?" he said.

Ming the Merciless: Pathetic earthlings. Who can save you now?