Priest fined for speaking against Islam
82-year-old guilty of 'provoking hatred' for saying Quran of the devil

5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

A French priest has been found guilty of "provoking discrimination, hatred or violence" for comments he made critical of the Quran, Islam's holy book.

Philippe Sulmont, 82, was fined $990 for expressing his thoughts in a letter to his parishioners in Domqueur in 2002, Agence France-Presse reported.

"The Asiatics proliferate and invade our land, bringing with them an ideology that threatens the whole world," he wrote.

"Indeed I would add there is no such thing as 'moderate' Islam. All the populations infected by the Muslim religion are indoctrinated by the Quran – a holy book which is the manual for the extension of the kingdom of the devil at the expense of the kingdom of Christ."

Sulmont was required to give one euro to the organization that sought his conviction, the League of Human Rights. He also must pay for the judgment to be published in two local newspapers, AFP reported.

Meanwhile, Welsh actor John Rhys-Davies of "Lord of the Rings" fame is under fire for comments he made about Europe's Muslim population, saying it was a "demographic catastrophe" threatening "Western civilization."

Related story:

Talk host under fire for slamming Arabs

Behind an able man there are always other able men. - Chinese Proverb