Uberproducer John Wells (The West Wing, ER) is developing a new version of
the 1960s vampire soap opera Dark Shadows for The WB, network officials
announced. But WB honcho Jordan Levin told reporters that he doesn't believe
the supernatural series will conflict with The WB's other vampire show,
Angel. "I don't think the two shows will be competing against one another,"
Levin said at the network's winter press tour in Hollywood.

Levin added, "We haven't seen Dark Shadows yet. What was interesting about
that is that anytime John Wells walks in the door and says he's excited
about wanting to do something differently-in this case, a gothic soap opera,
you know, based on Dark Shadows-I think that's something you're obviously
going to pay attention to. I think that two shows could co-exist.
One is an action-adventure franchise, and one is a very gothic soap opera
franchise."

Angel co-creator Joss Whedon, meanwhile, expressed surprise when informed
that another bloodsucker series was in the frog network's docket. "I was not
aware of that," he said, with typical tongue in cheek. "I quit." He added
seriously, "You know, clearly, I'm the 97th guy to use the vampire metaphor
to tell stories. I have no problem with there being a 98th. ...
But at least it's not an important, successful producer."