Gwyneth Paltrow building near pig farm

MADRID -- U.S. actress Gwyneth Paltrow is building a getaway villa next to a pig farm in the rural Spanish countryside, London's Mirror reported Wednesday. Paltrow received a 5-acre plot of land as a Christmas gift from a couple she met as a 15-year-old exchange student and to whom she has remained very close. "We treat Gwyneth as we do our own daughters, said Julia Lazaro, who owns the land with her husband, Jesus. "We decided to give each child a plot of land to do what they wanted with it. It's idyllic. She'll be happy here," the mother of four said. The land, however, is next to the Lazaro's pig farm, where they have approximately 4,500 pigs. "The smell of the pigs can be overpowering. But Gwyneth is a regular visitor and I expect she'll be used to it by now," said a family friend. The actress and her husband, Coldplay frontman Chris Martin, who are expecting their first child, plan to build a getaway home on the land, which is 20 miles from the nearest city of Talavera de la Reina.

The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friendship. - Ralph Waldo Emerson