ary 07, 2004 :: Incomplete Pass

Joe Namath is a dirty old man. I always suspected he'd evolve into one, but never anticipated he'd publicly admit that my assumption was correct. When ESPN's Suzy Kolber asked Namath about the struggling New York Jets, Broadway Joe responded by saying: "I want to kiss you." Good for you Joe Namath. Next time, why don't you try something subtle like sending Suzy a hand-written note in Crayon or lipstick?

Namath, who was, in my opinion, intoxicated or sporting the initial symptoms of Parkinson's disease, did his best to ensure Kolber understood what he was saying. Later in the interview, Namath repeated himself. "I want to kiss you." However, one could make the argument based on the evidence that Namath announced his wish again because he had forgotten about telling Kolber the first time.

The most disturbing part of the interview wasn't what was said, but what was shown. Namath was wearing that creepy grin that men often display when they've had one too many glasses of something. You know the one. That ‘I'm so desperate I'll humiliate myself on national television if given the opportunity’ look. This look often surfaces at strip clubs when a patron gets so drunk he forgets the dancers aren't really attracted to him. Luckily for Namath, there was no bouncer waiting in the wings.

While security didn't toss Namath from the stadium, ESPN did boot him from the air. The network released a statement saying they would not have interviewed Namath had it know what he planned to say. Well, that's helpful. In the future, maybe sideline reports should administer Breathalyzers to guests, prior to interviewing them.

I was most disappointed that not much was said about Namath-Kolber exchange, or lack there of, in the days following the interview. While various online media outlets reported that Namath planned to issue an apology, traditional media seemed to sweep it under the rug.

Even Kolber has been quiet. At the time, she thanked Namath for the compliment. If you ask me, however, there's nothing complimentary about a 60 year-old man stating that he'd like to kiss you. That is unless you yourself are a 60 year-old woman.

In any event, Kolber handled it like the professional that she is. Namath, on the other hand, made it clear that he's no longer the professional he once was. The Joe Namath of old would have completed that pass in one swift motion.

Rigby Reardon: My plan was to kiss her with every lip on my face.