NY Music Club the Bottom Line Shuts Doors for Good
Reuters
Sat Jan 24,12:36 PM ET
Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Bottom Line, the legendary New York music club where for nearly 30 years stars like Bruce Springsteen (news) and Miles Davis took the stage, has hit the finish line over a rent dispute.

The eclectic Greenwich Village club, whose acts also included singer Stevie Wonder (news) and blind country-folk guitarist Doc Watson, owed landlord New York University nearly $200,000 in back rent and could not agree on a new long-term lease. It closed for good on Thursday.

Co-owners Allan Pepper and Stanley Snadowsky, childhood friends who opened the club in 1974, posted a farewell note on the club's Web site that said, "The Bottom Line has always been about the music, and we find fulfillment in knowing that we have stayed the course and remained true to our vision."

The venue's final shuttering came six weeks after a judge's deadline for the owners to pay back rent or face eviction. The university had proposed a new lease that would have raised the $11,000 monthly rent. The owners vacated the property and were not evicted, according to the New York Times.

Pepper had said that the Bottom Line's business dropped off after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center.

The closure came three weeks before the 400-seat club was to celebrate its anniversary with Kris Kristofferson (news), David Johansen, David Bromberg, Doc Watson and Loudon Wainwright III among those lined up to perform.

The Feb. 12, 1974, opening night at the Bottom Line featured singer Dr. John, who was joined on stage by Wonder and Edgar Winter (news). Mick Jagger (news), Carly Simon (news), Bette Midler (news) and Charles Mingus were among the celebrities in the audience.

Can anything be so elegant as to have few wants, and to serve them one's self? - Ralph Waldo Emerson