From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Bethany
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 9:15 PM
To: The Sandbox Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Sndbox] Ron Reagan to Pen Anti-Bush Editorial

how embarrassing for poor Nancy.
~*~*Bethany*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
----- Original Message -----
From: Charles
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 11:24 AM
Subject: [Sndbox] Ron Reagan to Pen Anti-Bush Editorial

Ron Reagan to Pen Anti-Bush Editorial

AP
Ron Reagan is shown in this 1992 photo.
Ron Reagan, son of the former president of the United States, is set to write an editorial piece for Esquire magazine urging the end of the Bush administration.

Reagan co-hosted a panel discussion yesterday for The Creative Coalition, the non-partisan lobbying group, at the Sundance Film Festival along with "Lord of the Rings" star Sean Astin, the inimitable "Joey Pants," Joe Pantoliano, and actor Kevin Pollak.

Coincidentally, both Reagan's dad, Ronald, and Astin's mother, Patty Duke, were at one time presidents of the Screen Actors Guild. Of course, Reagan's dad was also president of this country, but in Hollywood that doesn't count as much.

Reagan has always been a vocal opponent of his father's political party, but never as much as he is now. He told me he will write an article of undetermined length for Esquire explaining why George W. Bush should not be re-elected.

One reason, I inferred, was that Bush has blocked stem-cell research for diseases such as Alzheimer's. Reagan is extremely clear about his feelings on this subject, since his father, who will turn 93 next month, has been felled by this insidious illness.

"It's unbelievable that Bush doesn't approve stem-cell research," Reagan said.

I also asked Reagan what he thought of the controversial TV movie, made by CBS but aired on Showtime recently, about his family.

"I saw it on tape," he said. "Someone sent it to me. I think my mother saw some clips from it. It looked to me like a 'Saturday Night Live' sketch. I mean, it was just so bad. And who cared? James Brolin did a terrible imitation of my father. Judy Davis is a good actress, but she's not my mother. The problem is that people made such a big deal out of it, but in the end it was nothing."

Reagan and I reminisced about the days in the early 1980s when he and his wife Doria, to whom he is still married, lived on my block in New York. The Secret Service took up a lot of parking spaces, which caused much grumbling.

"We left after 18 months," he said. "I never really liked living in New York. I'm much happier in the country."

As for the panel discussion, I have to say that Astin is turning into a very articulate and passionate newcomer on the celebrity political scene. Some of this may be attributed to his mother, Patty, who led the Screen Actors Guild through troubled times and won a lot of respect from her peers. We can expect him to make even more of an impression as the election year drags on.

Charles Mims

BREAKFAST.COM halted... cereal port not responding!