On Monday, June 14, 2004, 12:33:24 AM, Matt wrote:

M> Pete,

M> So would the Message-ID produce a hit if it was in the body of a
M> message?  The reason why I ask is because I'm concerned about the
M> possibility of legitimate servers getting tagged with Experimental and
M> how that plays into my system.

It would if it were quoted exactly like a header - which almost never
happens - and if it did then it would most certainly have to be a
technical discussion about this type of header - such lists that
discuss spam should already be white-listed by the subscribers due to
other possible matches in their systems. (at least that is best
practice).

In any case this rule and the others that we code are designed never
to match any kind of legitimate email - Unless they are coded
specifically for that purpose as white rules.

It's possible for us to err - but we work really hard to avoid that.

M> Am I also to assume that you have some protections in place to protect
M> from bounce messages from Joe-Jobs getting a server listed in
M> Experimental?  I have definitely seen some of these where legitimate
M> bounces were tagged with Experimental, and I'm guessing this was the
M> result of spam being relayed or bounced.

If a bounce gets tagged it is probably because the bounce message
itself has matching content - most likely a subject line. We've
considered this might be an issue - but there is really nothing
practical that can be done about it on a global level (since any rules
to mitigate this would be highly specific to the system receiving the
bounces). Also, we've seen that the overwhelming majority (all as far
as we can tell) of these messages are bogus anyway since their content
and their source data is not only forged but usually heavily modified
by the server doing the bounce... for example, virus rejections from
forging viruses etc.

In the current context I'd bet the majority of bounces that are
matching subjects since that is a commonly quoted element in a bounce
message.

The majority of experimental rules that get coded are added due to a
spam hitting our spamtraps. We are careful to watch for bounce
messages, delivery reports, virus trap reports and so-forth. We almost
never take an IP rule from a user submitted spam unless we can match
it with at least two other sources such as SBL + spamcop or something
similar. (User submitted spam is considered insecure and potentially
hostile.)

When we do tag a legitimate server (which happens on occasion) the
offending IP rule is removed permanently on the first report. Any rule
such removed prevents the rule from being added by default. Over time
we have already blocked the addition of most legitimate servers that
might get tagged in this way. (In any case, IP rules are not our focus
- rather they are just another component of our rulebase that helps to
expand the effect of a captured spam.)

--- One interesting thing we do take from joe-job bounces though is
subject lines and occasionally content if it is included in the
bounce. In these cases we always know that we are looking at a bounce.
For example, if we get a bounce of a snake-oil spam that contains new
obfuscated forms of drug names then we will take that opportunity to
code rules for those obfuscation forms. - no sense wasting data. In
this case the source is completely ignored.

None of our rules are currently added by an automated system. Rather,
all of our rules are currently added by human review - occasionally
suggested by automated systems. This will remain the design of our
process with some heavily restricted exceptions in the future.

While it is possible for us to make a mistake, it is not possible for
any "grand automated mistakes" to occur since every change is at least
managed by some human trained to understand the content they are
seeing - and with extremely rare exceptions each change is made one
rule at a time.

Hope this helps,