Here is what I've been using for several months now, compiled from the
original Sniffer autosnf.cmd file and suggestions found on this list:
=====
rem First, get the updated rules file from the web site.

wget -N http://www.sortmonster.net/Sniffer/Updates/rulebase.snf -O
rulebase.new.gz --header=Accept-Encoding:gzip --http-user=sniffer
--http-passwd=ki11sp8m -o snfupd.txt

rem Uncompress the rulebase file.

gzip -d -f rulebase.new.gz

rem If that worked, then there will be a sniffer.new file.

if exist rulebase.new goto Replace

rem If the above test fails, then we skip to the end of the file
rem and take no further action. Everything stays as it is.

goto Done

rem If the test didn't fail we'll replace our file.

:Replace

rem The check utility gets the ID from the name but it ignores the
rem extension so we'll rename it for the test.

rename rulebase.new rulebase.tst

rem Now we need to test the file and check our error level. If the
rem check fails we'll skip to the end

snf2check.exe rulebase.tst license-id
if errorlevel 1 goto Done

echo New File Tested GOOD!

rem If we didn't fail then we can go ahead and make the switch.

if exist rulebase.old del rulebase.old
rename rulebase.snf rulebase.old
rename rulebase.tst rulebase.snf

rem Handle any additional successful system updates here (before Done).

:Done

rem If things went well we're all ok.
rem If something went wrong then we'll do a bit of cleanup.

if exist rulebase.tst del rulebase.tst
=====

Copy everything between the equal signs and paste it into your autosnf.cmd
file.  Rename "rulebase" everywhere in the script with your Sniffer rulebase
name and rename "license-id" to your actual Sniffer License ID.  Then you
can set it to check hourly via Task Scheduler and it will only download if
the file has changed, and if it has, it will send a request to the Sniffer
server to compress the file before downloading.

Also, watch for word-wrapping, the "wget" line should be one long line.  The
snfupd.txt file will allow you to check the status of each download attempt,
as it is created (overwriting the existing file) with each download attempt.

Bill