From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Pete McNeil
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 11:48 PM
To: Andy Schmidt
Subject: Re[2]: [sniffer] LogRotate no longer working?

On Sunday, October 31, 2004, 11:33:49 PM, Andy wrote:

AS> 1. on 10:28 5:46PM I downloaded and installed the new Sniffer
AS> version.

AS> 2. I just ran:

AS> D:\IMAIL\Sniffer\Win32>mylicense.exe myauthcode rotate

-->> this had no effect

AS> D:\IMAIL\Sniffer\Win32>mylicense.exe myauthcode stop

AS> D:\IMAIL\Sniffer\Win32>mylicense.exe myauthcode persistent

-->> this created a new log file, but, this command NEVER returns - the
AS> command window is STILL running!

AS> Now what?

The command window will continue to run since you launched a persistent
instance within it. That is designed never to return.

There were no changes in the latest version that should effect the log
rotate command so this will take some hunting.

Normally when you run a persistent instance you would run it from a utility
that allows the program to run as a service.

I suggest you open a new dos window and re-issue the stop command. You
shouldn't need that authentication code - in testing we never use it and had
no trouble.

Both windows should return to the command prompt.

Once you are sure your persistent instance has been stopped, you can go to
your service control panel and stop, then start the persistent instance
service that you set up.

(If this doesn't make sense then please explain how you have your persistent
instance running under normal conditions.)

If the program accepts and processes the stop command then it should also
answer the rotate command - they are processed by the same patch of code -
only the final details are different.

I've not tested log rotation when there might be interference - such as a
duplicate file name or having the log file open when it must be renamed.

If you find that your persistent instance is answering to the stop command
but not answering to the rotate command then check for anything that might
be holding on to the log file or otherwise causing a problem that might
prevent it from being renamed.

I have not yet been able to duplicate the conditions you are describing.

Hope this helps,