To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 11:31 AM
Subject: [sniffer] Test ordering/precedence

Hello Sniffer Folks,

 During a previous discussion in late September, it was generally
 agreed that it was time to re-order the priority of the experimental
 and generalized rule groups.

 I am going to begin that work today.

 The new ordering will be:

 63: Experimental Received [IP]
 62: Obfuscation
 61: Experimental Abstract
 60: General

 The concept of this priority is to give more specific rules a higher
 priority over less specific rules. So, for example, a spam text
 pattern or URI in the "General" group will have priority over an IP
 rule.

 By the end of the day these rule groups will have been renumbered.
 While this will have some subtle effects over time as the rulebase
 system "learns" some new structures, the most important short term
 effects will be seen by systems that give individual weights to each
 rule group.

 Please begin making the appropriate changes in your weighting
 schemes if you use them.

 Systems that do not use weighting schemes will not need to take any
 action.

Pete McNeil (Madscientist)
President, MicroNeil Research Corporation
Chief SortMonster (www.sortmonster.com)