On Thursday, November 3, 2005, 10:58:41 AM, MCSE wrote:

SSMOE> Hello Pete,

SSMOE> I'm noticing the results of this already.

SSMOE> Our rule base went from aprox 70,000 rules to 53,000.

SSMOE> I don't see much change in capture rate but it is still early.

That seems about right :-)

In theory it's not possible to effect the overall capture rate since
the "shape" of the new formulae is such that the effected rules are
those that have not shown activity in some time.

As any rule's activity becomes more recent the gain applied to it's
useful hit count approaches unity asymptotically -- so, anything with
recent activity looks very much like it always has.

So far I'm reasonably happy with the results.

Thanks for your post!