Running as a service is the way to go.  The steps I followed were taken
directly from Matt's post in the archives and updated slightly for Windows
2003.  I'm mostly just reposting his info here, but I like having
instructions all together.

1) Download & install the Windows 2003 Resource Kit.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-
96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

2) Open a command prompt (Click on the Start Button, select Run, and type
CMD)

3)    Enter the following commands (customize for the paths of the
executables)

        C:\> cd Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
        C:\> Instsrv Sniffer "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource
Kits\Tools\SRVANY.exe"

4) Open up the Registry Editor (Click on the Start Button, select Run, and
type REGEDIT)

5) Locate the following key:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sniffer

6) From the Edit menu, select New, select Key, and name the new key
"Parameters"

7) Highlight the Parameters key

8) From the Edit menu, select New, select String Value, and name the new
value "Application"

9) From the Edit menu, select Modify, and type in the full path name and
application name, including the drive letter and file extension (don't use
quotes). You must customize the path, executable name and authentication
code.

Example:
C:\IMail\Declude\Sniffer\[yourlicx].exe [authenticationxx] persistent

       [yourlicx] = your license ID
       [authenticationxx] = your authentication string

10) Open the Services MMC

11) Start the Sniffer service

12) Set the Sniffer service to Automatic

Matt's original post:
http://www.mail-archive.com/sniffer@sortmonster.com/msg00169.html