On Thursday, February 23, 2006, 1:07:07 PM, Goran wrote:

GJ> Pete,

GJ> I have seen a couple of times that the file

GJ> C:\External\Sniffer\<my license>-20060221071316x386D4931-2352.SVR

GJ> Is open and cannot be backed up.

GJ> What is this file? I assume that I do not need to be worried since the
GJ> file disappears.

When in peer-server mode, if an instance comes to life and finds it is
the only instance around it will set itself up as a server just in
case another instance comes along and needs help.

When an instance of SNF is acting as a server it will announce that by
creating a .SVR file in the working directory.

In peer-server mode, a server-peer will handle a few jobs, then it's
own, and then it will go away so it can return it's result. While it
is active it will leave it's .SVR file out to advertise to the
peer-clients that it is available to process messages.

In persistent mode, the server-peer never has a message of it's own to
process and so it never goes away (almost). As a result, all
peer-clients always hand off their messages to the persistent
peer-server. Since the persistent peer-server never goes away the .SVR
file will also not go away.

These files are all generally transient. (.QUE, .FIN, .ABT, .XXX,
etc...) This causes some trouble with backup software.

It's usually best to skip backing up the sniffer working directory
except for the .exe, .snf, and any script files you have. It is
usually best to keep a current / recent copy of those files in a
separate directory that can be backed up and to otherwise treat the
SNF working directory as you would a temp directory. (skip it)

Hope this helps,