Hello Matt,

<snip/>

I also had about 10 errors waiting to be cleared from another application, but probably because of the way that Sniffer works (as a service or something related), the Sniffer processes are just hung without a prompt.  I saw this last week also.

I have Declude set for 200 processes, so it probably reached 300 when the first 100 hung, and then it stayed with those 100 hung.  Is there anything that can be done in Sniffer to kill off these hung processes in an automated and proactive manner?  I recently upgraded to the latest version and I was probably a version or two behind, and I don't recall this happening before.

It seems very unlikely that SNF instances would be hung -- they will either time-out themselves or be killed off by Declude. Please let us know if there are any errors in your SNF log.

Also - check the SNF working directory to make sure you don't have a lot of old job files hanging around. That can cause SNF instances to relax their timing based on the assumption there is a high system load -- with relaxed timing they will stay around longer waiting for results.

If you find that you do have a lot of old job files hanging around then you should clean them out to get things going normally again.

Stop SMTP

Wait for all jobs to finish

Stop your persistent instance

Remove all left-over job files (QUE, WRK, FIN, ABT, XXX, SVR)

Restart your persistent instance

Restart SMTP

Also, presuming you have a persistent instance - make sure that is still running. If that had failed for some reason then you might be running now in peer-server mode which will be a bit slower than persistent mode.

Hope this helps,

Pete McNeil

Chief Scientist,

Arm Research Labs, LLC.