It's hard to compare performance because the test results would depend on
the amount and nature of the data marshaled across the function calls. I
would suspect that RMI's use of standard Java serialization is more
efficient than building and parsing XML strings, thus I would expect RMI to
be proportionally faster than SOAP as the amount and complexity of the data
increases.

However, the existing XML parsers are woefully inefficient, which would seem
to indicate that there is room for potentially large performance gains. Thus
while I would expect RMI to maintain a performance advantage over SOAP both
today and in the long term, I would expect the degree of this advantage to
shrink over time.

In other words, if RMI is 6 times faster than SOAP today, it might only be
twice as fast a year from now.

But one must consider that if the people in charge of the SOAP standards
allow the XML format for SOAP to bloat with new features (and complexity),
this will oppose the gains made from faster XML parsers and could destroy
any chance of making SOAP more efficient.

Given this possibility, it is impossible to predict how RMI and SOAP will
continue to compare in performance. We can only hope that the SOAP standards
people keep a tight lid on the XML format and we can realize the advantages
of more efficient parsers.

Regards,