At 11:58 PM 6/30/2001 -0700, JP Bonn wrote:
>I'm trying to run soap under JRun 3.0.  I followed the installation
>directions for JRun (substituting soap.war in place of pointing to the
>directory).  I can go to the rpcRouter URL and get the "post not get"
>message so everything appears OK up to that point.
>
>If I try running the org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient I get:
>Ouch, the call failed:
>     Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Server.Exception:
>     Fault String = java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
>
>Any ideas as to what I may have done wrong?

0ddly enough, this error is described in the docs under iPlanet install,
i.e. path-to-soap-2_2\docs\install\iPlanet.html:

>If you encounter the following messages when running a sample,
>the most likely cause is not having the JAXP compatible parser
>library at the front of the server's classpath:
>
>D:\soap-2_2\samples\addressbook>testit
>This test assumes a server URL of http://127.0.0.1/NASApp/soap/servlet/rpcr
>
>Deploying the addressbook service...
>Ouch, the call failed:
>   Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Server.Exception:
>   Fault String = java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
>This error occurs because the XML parser bundled with the
>application server does not contain a class required by Apache
>SOAP. Once you place a JAXP compatible parser at the front of
>the server's classpath, you will solve this problem.
>
>If you encounter errors when running the Calculator sample,
>ensure that you've added both the bsf.jar and js.jar
>libraries to the start of the application server's classpath.

(looks like that somebody clipped the output from a screen
that wasn't wrapping, hence "/servlet/rpcr" at the end of a line
instead of "servlet/rpcrouter"). Actually the error may occur
even if you have Xerces 1.4 or better (do _not_ use 1.3.1) at
the front of the classpath, but usually that has to do with
things in your lib/ext directory.

Tom Myers