Hi,

 >Perhaps catalina can improve my service performance.
Nope,...Can't tell yet...Never tried in production...Tomcat 4.0 is
still too new.

A few simple rule, that you to need observed for performance:

1)Tomcat alone as compare to hookup with web server like IIS / Apache.
2)Database Connection Pool in with JNDI in Tomcat.
3)Reduce Database access whenever possible.

 >creation when I have many concurrent accesses.
That is so true...When run in Session mode, SOAP does create service objects
for each session. However, it is still far lesser compare to scope="Request" or
session without client code like:

Call call1 = new Call ();
Call call2 = new Call ();
SOAPHTTPConnection shc = new SOAPHTTPConnection ();
shc.setMaintainSession (false);
call1.setSOAPTransport (shc);
call2.setSOAPTransport (shc);

If you dun do this, the session object will create a session objects with
each call.
If you do.. calling both of the above call1 & call2 will only create one
session object.

There are ways to get around this problem without much programming:
1)Switch JDK... Like from Sun's JDK to IBM...I am not too sure IBM JDK 1.3
will be able

2)Tune the OS Virtual Memory swap/paging file. Like Make the Swapfile take
up an entire partition
alone..Usually works best in FAT32 rather than NTFS, since you dun need to
keep data there.

3)Switch OS like from Win2K to RedHat 7.1
If you are using Win2K for production... you are out of luck..Usually
Windows uses paging file
even there are plenty of physical RAM left. You usually see/hear the
harddisk spinning like
nothing.

If you use RedHat Linux 7.1 with kernel 2.4+, the swap/paging partition is
used ONLY when
you dun have any physical RAM left. Further more, accessing paging file in
Win2K require
to lock the common Master File Table used by other program in the drive.
This is not the case
with Linux... as it uses entire special swap partitions, the kernel doesn't
need to lock/unlock.
No program will have a race for that partition.

Hope this help
cheers,
Boon Pang